Monday, May 7, 2012

Now, about that recording...

I'll have more to say about this in a future post, but it appears that the recording made during the San Diego Symphony's reading of In Winter will be blasted with a white noise track in order to render it "unsuitable for broadcast." Of course, I already signed an agreement stating I wasn't going to try to broadcast or publish the recording anyway -- I'd just like a copy for personal use: study and promotion. So this doesn't affect you, the listener, but the implications for composers and performers are unfortunate, as this seems to place a wedge into this critical relationship.

At any rate, there will be more later. However, since this treads closely to a very interesting blog post by Nico Muhly that got a lot of press coverage, I'll just link to it here. The comments are worth reading, too.

2 comments:

  1. AAHHGGG. Chinary also had thsi experience. He needed a good recording after being nominated for the Pulitzer. Seriously, why wouldn't an orchestra want their recording the submitted one for this honor? I really do not get it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's time for a broad rethinking of what "fair use" means. Waivers can and should be granted for personal use. Some musicians fear losing potential income if a recording winds up in a film or other commercial vehicle. Of course, the waiver I would sign would forbid that kind of use, but there would be a remote chance that a copy I've sent to someone for perusal gets misused without my knowledge. I think that's why they're using the noise track.

    I just think the chances of that happening are incredibly remote, and to pollute the product and hamstring its primary purpose (as Nico writes: "to send a copy to my mom") because of a remote nefarious possibility seems pointless and wasteful.

    ReplyDelete